From Dallas to Kyoto: My Favorite Places

I was born and raised in Texas, so naturally I have a soft spot for the city that I grew up in. Dallas has a special place in my heart that has only grown stronger with age. I’m particularly fond of North Dallas, with its charming neighborhoods, scenic parks, fine eateries and endless shopping locations. The downtown arts district is also lovely, being home to Booker T. Washington High School for the Performing and Visual Arts (my alma mater),  the Crow Collection of Asian Art, The Dallas Museum of Art, the Meyerson Symphony Center, the Nasher Sculpture Center, The Perot Museum, and much more.


Yours truly, at the Crow Collection of Asian Art in Dallas, TX

Fun fact, I studied abroad in Japan for about six months this last semester through OU. Japan is absolutely beautiful in the spring, especially where I was basedKyoto. Believe it or not, it was actually hotter there due to the stagnant humidity. Even so, it was beautiful, completely pristine and endlessly exciting. I saw many temples, though I have yet to see them allthere are more than 2,000 in Kyoto alone! I also enjoyed exploring Kawaramachi, the downtown area, on my days off from school. 

Me again, this time at Ginkaku-ji (the silver temple) in Kyoto, Japan


I do have some favorites here in Norman. Personally, I enjoy libraries, which I believe are underrated resources of free education and entertainment. Most days I’ll be studying at Bizzell or reading for fun at one of the Pioneer branches. In regards to studying Mythology and Folklore, the library will definitely benefit me this fall. 


A quick snapshot inside the Fine Arts Library in Norman, OK

Comments

  1. Oh wow, Asian art in Dallas: that looks wonderful, Natalie! I might just have to make a pilgrimage next time I am in Austin (I go to Austin a lot for family stuff). Are you interested in maybe doing a Japanese project for this class? That would be so cool; there are some fabulous resources online at the Freebookapalooza... it's our free virtual library online! Japanese stories at the Freebookapalooza (I love all libraries, real and virtual!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Natalie! Wow!! I have always wanted to go to Japan. It has such a rich history and culture. Also, I am from Texas too. Texas, as weird as it sounds, always feels like home. Like you can sense it or something haha. I especially love areas like Fredericksburg, San Antonio, and North Texas. Thanks for sharing! Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Artist and Aspiring Writer: An Introduction

Week 7 Story: The Legend of Princess Tamatori