Week 1: Storybook Favorites

Image Source
LGBTQ+ Stories by Natalie 


I really liked this series, and not just because the author and I share the same name. I enjoyed reading fairytale stories an LGBTQ+ theme, giving the protagonists satisfactory or happy endings. It’s a nice nod to classic fantasy with the addition of queer representation that was subtly written. My personal favorite was How Britomart Won the Day, which is similar to the original Stories from the Faerie Queene by Mary Macleod (with the exception that Britomart is nonbinary.)


The Dragon Under the Yew by Hayley


Not the ending I was expecting, but a good twist. There were some parts of the story that I felt would be stronger if written earlier or later in the story, though it doesn’t take away from the plotline as a whole. I also like the author’s research of how true events inspire stories, art imitates life, and so on. Truthfully, I was hoping that the “knight” and the dragon could reach a truce or befriend one another, but that was my own wishful thinking.


Discovering Dragons by Erin Bullock


This story was probably my favorite of the three. The author was very thorough and put a lot of work into their research, writing, and the design layout (which definitely has given me ideas for my final project). It is rare to see western and eastern depictions of dragons or other fantasy elements morphed together in the same world, but I rather enjoyed it. In all, the flow of the author’s writing is very nice, and I wouldn’t mind reading their stories again purely for my own enjoyment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artist and Aspiring Writer: An Introduction

Week 7 Story: The Legend of Princess Tamatori