Week 13 Story: The Traveler and the Afanc

Lake of the Green Well
It was a gray, cloudy day when a wanderer passed through the mountains of Cwym Dyli. After walking for miles, the traveler was tired and decided to take a break. Looking around they happened to find a lake that was a deep shade of evergreen, and resolved to rest by the water bank for the afternoon.

It was then that they spotted something quite odd swimming around in the water. Peering closer, they saw the scaly hide of something large and gliding about. Before they could utter a sound, a large creature rose up from the water and hissed, sneering down at them.

“What are you?” said the stunned traveler.

“I am the Afanc,” said the serpent, writhing about. “Have you come here to make a mockery of me?”

“Why would I do that?”

“Because that is what your people do,” the Afanc hissed. “They come to Llyn y Ffynnon Las to see if they can catch a glimpse of me. They like to taunt and tease the beast you see before you.” The Afanc swished its tail and gave the traveler a wicked grin. “If they survive, that is. Some do not fear for their safety all too well.”

The traveler made a point to take a few steps back away from the bank, cowering under the serpent’s glare. “Then why don’t you leave?”

“Leave? Leave? As if I have never thought of that!” he growled. That is when the traveler saw the glint of metal in the water. The long, iron chains kept the beast at a safe distance, possibly anchored to the bottom of the lake.

“How did you become trapped here?” They took another step back for good measure.

“Curious thing, are you? So many questions,” the Afanc hissed. “Fine, then. I shall sate your indulgence.”

“I used to reside in Llyn Llion, a far lovelier place than this. It was a peaceful life, tending to my own business. That was before that man and his people invaded my home.” The traveler inched closer, showing interest in the Afanc’s tale.

“I do not recall his name,” he continued. “All I know is that he thought it best to plough the land and muddy the water. The insolence! I attempted to drive out his people from my home, but flooding the lands was not enough.

“Then he bested me by sending in a village girl as a distraction. I must admit, some of your kind can be—quite captivating.” He paused, shaking his head. “I never thought he would use one of his own people as bait.”

“And the village girl?” The traveler asked, leaning in.

“Oh, her.” He smiled ruefully. “Obviously, I tore her to shreds!” Snapping his jaw shut only inches away from traveler, they jumped back and began running as far away from the Afanc as possible.

“And don’t come back,” the beast hissed, sinking back into the water.

The clouds continued to darken as the traveler kept a steadfast pace, deciding never again to wander into the mountains of Cwym Dyli.



Author’s Note

In the original story of Hu Gadarn (Hu the Mighty), the titular character rules over the Cymry people (the Welsh) and decides to move from Summer Country to Honey Isle (what we know today as Anglesey, Wales in the UK). However, they are disturbed by the Afanc that lives nearby in Llyn Llion (Lake of Waves). The Afanc makes an unsuccessful attempt to flood the area to drive out the Cymry. Hu Gadarn decides to use one of the women to lure the Afanc to sleep and bind him with iron chains. The Afanc attacks the woman in revenge but is unable to escape his fate, as Hu Gadarn’s team of oxen pull him to Llyn y Ffynnon Las (Lake of the Green Well). I was interested in writing from the Afanc’s point of view, with the traveler allowing us to understand his side of the story. I suppose he would be very bitter about the whole situation.

Bibliography: “Hu Gadarn” from Welsh Fairy Tales, by W. Jenkyn Thomas and Willy Pogány. Web source.

Comments

  1. Hello!

    I can imagine that the Afanc would be bitter lol. As I read the story I initially though that the traveler was going to help the Afanc get out of the chains but I can see why he didn’t. The serpent seems like a jerk. I wonder if he’ll ever learn his lesson and be nice to someone so that they can set him free or if he’ll stay a bitter jerk for the rest of his life. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Natalie!

    I like that you told this story from the perspective of the Afranc but I kind of wish he had convinced the traveler to help him get free or something. The way he snaps at the traveler makes it seem understandable that the people would have tricked him. It would be interesting if the Afranc seemed more innocent or if he was able to somehow get revenge on the people who trapped him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Artist and Aspiring Writer: An Introduction

Week 7 Story: The Legend of Princess Tamatori